The Hotel is named after Sir George Seymour, one of the First Four Ships to arrive in Canterbury in 1850, carrying immigrants from the United Kingdom. Our pioneering forefathers spirit of visionary entrepreneurship helped Christchurch to grow to what it is today – a city of refreshing beauty which has established itself as one of New Zealand’s foremost destinations.
Prior to being called The George, it has variably been called the Arlington Motor Lodge (1974), the Avon Park Motor Hotel (1977), the Park Hotel (1982) and latterly The George (1987)
The George Christchurch is managed by Brook Serene & Co. Ltd, a company which is itself owned by Toranomon Jitsugyo Kaikan Co. Limited (TJK). The Owner is Mr Moriyasu Kawamura.